So this is the almost compulsory feeling post that features all those products that I kept reaching for during 2014.
When you keep using a certain product it is because it performs well and you trust it to deliver good colour or to stay put for as long as you are wearing it. Personaly, I love reading this type of posts as you can always find little treasures that you knew nothing about. So even though this blog is quite new, let me introduce you to my favourite products of 2014.
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium: this is my most reached powder. I usually use it on top of my foundation to give a bit more coverage in certain areas, but I have also used it to set my foundation and on its own. I have a couple loose powders that I too love, but this one is less messy.
- Clinique Powder Brush, is a flat, fluffy and paddle shaped brush. I use it so frequently that both of my brushes have the silver letters on the clear handle erased! I love it to set my foundation as it will dust just the right amount of powder.
- MAC Pearlmatte Face Powder in Pink Buttercream, was a face powder released with the Baking Beauties collection in 2013. This is a subtle pale pink shimmery powder that I use as a subtle hightlighter. Call me lazy, but I use it for the same purpose as the Guerlain Meteorites but with less fuss.
- MAC Extra Dimension Blush in Seduced at Sea, was part of the Alluring Aquatic collection released earlier this year. First of all, the packaging in this collection was stunning! As for the product itself, it was quite a nice surprise, as I do not like the ED eyeshadows that much. This ED blush is a very flattering terracotta colour (a hint of orange and of red) with very fine golden shimmer. I love it when wearing a natural look or when rocking a bold red lip!
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place Flawless Wear Concealer in 02 Light Medium (that was a mouthful!). I have been loving this concealer for my undereyes: good colour match, easy to blend, sets and doesn’t budge.
- Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder in 2, this has been quite the discovery! I use it to set my concealer as it prevents creasing and helps it to last longer. Also, as it brightens the area, it helps to conceal the undereye darkness, even on its own. But this can be a multitasker, as I have also used it as a very subtle highlighter under the arch of my eyebrow and on top of my cheek bones.
- MAC Pro Longwear Waterproof Brow Set in Quiet Brunette, I have simply fallen for this product. I used to use powders or pencils on my brows, but I love how natural this product looks while helping with density and shape.
- Make Up Store Brush Cleansing Soap. For two years now I have been cleaning my brushes with this soap. Detailed post here.
- MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. I think that this has been the base of 95% of my looks this year. Enough said!
- Make Up Store Microshadows in Vanilla and Saga. I really like the matte Microshadows and these two have been one of my go to lazy days combos on top of Soft Ochre.
- Astor 24h Perfect Stay Eyeshadow + Liner in 100 Creamy Taupe. I usually do not pay attention to Astor products, and in fact I was given this pencil as a present. It is gorgeous! It’s a metallic taupe that you can simply use on its own and blend it out or use as a base for other products. Very long lasting! I will have to check out other colours.
- Kiko Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06. This is the final member of my “Lazy days chez Tirurit” triad. It is a beautiful bronzy brown that I use the same way as the Astor pencil: smudged on its own or as a base. Plus the poor thing used to travel in my purse so I could cheat on days when I was running behind in getting to work: get to work on time, and when you can go to the bathroom and apply some powder, the stick eyeshadow with your fingers, mascara and gloss. Ta dah!
- MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Buried Treasure. This is a beautiful (and hard to describe) pencil: a creamy black base with a hint of olive green and gold and olive green shimmer. This one was recommended to me by the MUA at the MAC Technique session I attended as it is creamy upon aplication but it sets.
- Coastal Scents smudge brush. This is one of the few Coastal Scents brushes that has survived 2014. Despite it being a bit scratchy, it is thinner than other smudge brushes, so I am keeping it for now. I love to use it to smudge Buried Treasure onto a wing shape. Stunning!
- MAC Patentpolish Lip Pencil in Revved Up. This was an impulse purchase when I was at the store and I am so happy that I did. This is simply my perfect nude lip, it gives a hint of warmth (orange) but its translucent quality lets your natural colour show through. Such a pity that this was a limited edition item!
- MAC Wipes, as its name states, these are wipes I use to take out most of my make up as a first step. I thought that any wipes would do, and that they would all be the same. Well, the MAC ones are excellent and leave your skin with a slight moisturized feeling. Pity that the price is quite high.
- MAC Oil Control, this is a lotion that I use underneath my foundation in summer, when it is so hot that everything seems to melt! It helps, but there is nothing that I have found that will succeed in domineering my oil production when it is so hot and humid. A still ongoing quest!
8 thoughts on “Favourites 2014”
I love your post! These are all such amazing products ❤ your pictures are beautiful!
Well, the products reflect both my taste, what works on my skin and what is available localy as I am a very lazy online shopper 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person
It seems like this year you admired MAC products mostly……..
Well, those certainly are a cornerstone for me because there is a store in town and they are in the mid range price 😉
I am slowly branching out hehe
Might have to try some of those MAC products! Happy New Year! x
Happy New Year!!
As I have mentioned before, I know that I am a bit MAC biased: the girls at my store are great, they know me and they always keep me updated on new launchments and offer me samples of things they think I might be interested in. It is very easy to end trying and loving many of their products that way!
I am so in love with your picks! MAC’s Soft Ochre is an all time favorite of mine! I haven’t written up my “Best of 2014 | Eyes” post yet, but it’s definitely going to be on that list. Soft Ochre is significantly more yellow than my skin tone, but it does an excellent job at cancelling out the pinkness in my eyelids and brow bone. Also, the MAC Patentpolish Lip Pencil in Revved Up has me very intrigued–I’m always a sucker for jumbo lip pencil type products. 🙂
Well, I must confess that I use both Soft Ochre and Painterly. My skin is weird that way and in summer is more yellow toned than in winter so I usually change. However this year I had a panic moment when I could not find my Soft Ochre so I went to the store and bought another one. Of course, as it usually happens, then the other Soft Ochre reapeared and now I am using it everyday in hopes of finishing both before they dry!
Well, I am really hoping that they do bring back the Patentpolishes, as it is a great formula. Rumours are that they would be again in a collection later this year